Sunday 5 June 2011

Jos & Me

Jos,Jos,Jos!I can remember the excitement that hit me vividly when I got my admission into The University of Jos! Ah,great day, was so going to be free from my Parents, have a place of my own(even though at home I enjoy relative freedom to do as I please). The Jos I dreamt about was very far from the Jos I met! Even though I was born in Jos and spent the first four(4)years of my life staying there,I could honestly not remember what the town really looked like!
Making matters worse, whenever I was in Jos, I stayed at my Uncle's in the elite part of town. Light,water and the basic essentials of life were readily available. Nothing prepared me for the shock I got when I moved down into town. Looking for a place to stay was just the beginning, "ah, the town is not safe oh", "you can't stay here,its on the boundary" new stories unfolding,the supposed Home of Peace & Tourism was only home to Peace and Tourism on paper! You don't dare follow some roads and well if you turn up in some places, you might as well be history! Tourism,well you dare not follow some roads and the town is relatively unsafe and you are talking tourism? Well I moved to Jos with the intention of having more fun(​☺k°‎​ not forgetting the education part) and read. Basic Infrastructures were a mess, no light,water,gullys on the road,not the normal potholes! What mess have I got myself into? Night-life you can't move because there is no stable transport system infact it was so bad at a point, if you were not home by 6pm,forget about it,better sleep wherever you are!
I got a house,well lacking so many basic amenities(the hostel was so out of question as my first visit made me sick) and moved in! It was a place though far from school was relatively safe! Be careful the bikes you climb(the taxis are death traps, you would count all the threads on the taxi's tyre. Well, I made friends, good and the bad...well the bad does help you oh,bigtime(let's leave that for another day). The town instead of improving, at least we have a government which they say is working but yet the tension in town seems even much more than when I first moved in! Everyday I pray one day,the Jos I dreamt I was coming to will come through!
I came to Jos to "flex,party,explore but most of that been more of a dream than reality!
Let's keep it short!! This is my first...hope seeing you soon! Hehehe

7 comments:

  1. surprised you can write!
    hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nawa oh! Well whoever is surprised I write should expect bigger surprises

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why should it suprise me that you can write?
    Nice piece,will definitely visit your world over n over again,u know me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. flex and party?? you were admitted to read medicine my guy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, but I always added the part I came here to read. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. INterestinn I was abt to make noise abt d bc !! Nyc oNe

    ReplyDelete